Monday, 12 November 2012

Mothering - Mothering - Mothering - Mothering

On a long train journey I overheard two mothers discussing their baby’s growth and development.
 
I began to reflect how mothers are constantly bombarded with opportunities to compare their baby’s progress with weight charts, developmental stages and media reports.
 
As a new mother I remember my need to judge my mothering through comparing my baby’s progress against another baby. I am also aware how detrimental this can be to the mother’s self esteem and ultimately the child’s.
 
It is a mothering challenge to love unconditionally, to celebrate children for who they are and not what they are.
 
It is a challenge for mothers to love themselves, to feel that they are good enough and not to check how they are doing through their children achievements – to find a soft kind tender place for the mothering that they do and celebrate that they are good enough and that their children are also good enough as they are.

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment